PRESIDENT Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Tuesday ordered law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into the shooting at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) that reportedly left two people dead, while directing authorities to strengthen measures to keep schools safe.
In a statement, Marcos expressed condolences to the families of the victims and the entire AdZU community following the tragedy at the university’s Junior High School campus.
“We grieve with the families and the entire Ateneo de Zamboanga community over a tragedy that should never have happened,” Marcos said.
The President said schools should be among the safest places in the country, noting these are where Filipino children are entrusted to learn, grow, and pursue their dreams.
“I have directed our law enforcement agencies to conduct a thorough investigation into this incident and to determine what more must be done to prevent another family, another school and another community from suffering the same grief,” he said.
Marcos also ordered the government to work with schools and communities to strengthen safeguards protecting students.
“We will work with our schools and communities to strengthen the safeguards that protect our students and ensure that they can pursue their education without fear,” he said.
“Every Filipino family deserves that assurance,” he added.
AdZU confirmed two fatalities following the shooting at its Junior High School campus on Tuesday morning.
The university said the safety of its students remains its top priority and that parents and guardians were immediately contacted to fetch their children.
Students who remained on campus were secured by school personnel, the university said.
AdZU is coordinating with authorities in the investigation and has established official communication channels for verified updates.
The university also appealed for respect for the privacy of those affected by the incident.
In his State of the Nation Address (SONA) last month, Marcos called for stronger protection of learners and a united effort to protect children from harmful influences.
This followed a spate of violence involving students, including the June 22 shooting at San Jose National High School in Tacloban City that left three people dead. (PNA)



