FORMER Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno has outlined programs for the youth and the LGBTQ+ sector once he wins his comeback bid.
Moreno made the assurance during a combined meeting of the two sectors March 29 in barangay Lumbia.
For the past months, Moreno had been meeting with various sectors and collating their concerns and suggestions in what he calls as participatory and inclusive governance.
It capped with a grand launch last March 27 at Limketkai Atrium but the initiative had not stopped there.
With the onset of the local campaign period, Moreno and his slate have multiplied their efforts in reaching out to the grassroots.
During the meeting with the youth and LGBTQ+ sectors, he former mayor emphasized education as one of his priorities.
“Education is very empowering. It’s an equalizer,” Moreno told a solo mother who dropped out after finishing senior high and went on inspiring her by narrating that both his parents already finished their tertiary degrees when Moreno and his siblings were already in their teenhood.”Keep on learning. I hope you can find a way to continue schooling.”
This, as Moreno warned officials in charge of the city college scholarships program to refrain from weaponizing it politically.
“Daghan akong nadunggan nga gaka-hostage ang mga city scholars. They are forcing the city scholars to support the administration candidates. Ilang hinadlokon nga maundang ang city scholars kung mapildi ilang manok,” he said.
“I will never do that. In fact in my nine years as mayor, I have never interviewed any single city scholar applicant,” Moreno continued. “Let this be a fair warning to the officials concerned. Ayaw g’yud mo pagamit sa politika. Otherwise, you will be out in my first day of office.”
For the LGBTQ+ sector, the former mayor will be pushing for a relocation project for them, among many others.